Monday, January 5, 2015

Of all the sports out there, why triathlon?

I've got the height to be a 'baller, the endurance to run up and down the soccer field and surprising hand-eye coordination that makes me a fierce table tennis opponent. But for some reason, triathlon stuck. The fact that 1/5 people can't tell the difference between a marathon and a triathlon is a good indication that triathlon is still a growing sport. So why do the two of us make such a perfect match?

1.) The Routine 
Anybody who spends a modicum of time with me will realize my brain does not function like a normal human being. Thankfully, I'm just below that threshold of having a clinically recognized disorder but there is just enough crazy in there to make me compulsively look for order, structure and routine. Patterns, numbers and progressions makes me tick. But somehow, triathlon allows me to take these characteristics and channel them directly into my training and racing. The routine keeps me level and when I'm in sync with my training plan, all is right in the world. 

2.) The Physiology
Growing up, you would have never taken me for a triathlete. Not a swimmer, not a cyclist, not a runner. A linebacker would have probably been a fine description of my 12 year old physique. But as I stretched out and grew a little facial hair, my true form came into play. 
  • I'm tall and it's all in my legs. They are my levers and I take full advantage of them to power my kick in the pool, drive down the pedals and stride out on the track. 
  • I'm lean and don't sweat a lot. Hot temperatures usually don't phase me. I don't have too much mass to carry around. Both of these have helped me avoid any serious injury my entire career. 
  • I have an engine. I'm a work horse. I can go for hours without stopping. I won't beat you in the 100m dash but I'll kick your ass in the marathon. 

3.) The Identity 
As I was stewing in a world of misdirection and despair as many 13-year old teenagers do, I was heading down a real rough path. I was striving for something to grab onto and to be completely honest, it could have been anything. This was my formative time. Suddenly, I found triathlon and it gave me that something. I was now "the kid who does triathlons." Funny enough, triathlon just happened to be at the right place at the right time. I could have just as easily started collecting Pokemon cards and playing World of Warcraft. Thankfully, that didn't happen. 
COULD HAVE HAPPENED 
4.) The Emotion 
Triathlon offers the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. In this racket, you can go from being completely invincible one moment to the scum of the earth in a matter of seconds. When you smash those mile repeats, it's hard to describe the elation. But when you are struggling to make it home on an easy spin the world seems very dark. You feel the pain of pushing yourself to the brink in training but also the light-as-a-feather feeling as you dart through the finishing shoot at a race. Having those great moments and those not so great moments keeps everything in check.

5.) The Struggle 
This shit is hard. I won't lie. Training is tough and most of the work is not enjoyable. I stare at a black line for hours. I torture myself with 5 hour bike sessions on the trainer. I freeze off my extremities running through -20 degree Midwest winters. I don't drink. I rarely go out to eat. I don't have too many friends. I spend a lot of time alone. I sacrifice a whole lot but to be completely frank, I would not have it any other way. I love every single minute. 
Practicing my blue steel look
Feel free to comment away on Facebook and Twitter.... It's great to hear any and all feedback!

Thanks for tuning in, 
Justin

Like my Facebook page- Justin Metzler Triathlete 
Follow me on Twitter- @justin_metzler
Follow me on Instagram- @justin_metzler 
Follow me on Strava- justin_metzler 

Use code MavJustin for 20% off all products at www.blueseventy.com
Use code MavJustin for $40 off the BSX Multisport edition at www.bsxinsight.com/multisport
Use code Maverick for 10% off all regular priced Infinit Nutrition items at http://www.infinitnutrition.us


No comments:

Post a Comment