Monday, July 4, 2011

Week 5.

I am feeling good on a nice 4th of July rest day. Today is a full day off from training and I definitely need it! After a great showing at the Bigfoot Olympic triathlon last Sunday, I was right back into the swing of things Tuesday morning. This was a key week in my training program and I worked very hard to hopefully set myself up well for Racine 70.3, only a few weeks away.

5AM Tuesday morning I was up for the Sunrise ride with a good group of riders. The workout was on the customary loop and we added some longer race pace tempo efforts. A killer workout that felt really good. My legs felt surprisingly fresh after the hilly race course on Sunday but I just rolled with the workout and was very pleased. I ran a 10k tempo effort off the bike that also felt great and gave me an opportunity to test my nutrition plan out.  I finished off the day with a good lifting session and some much needed rest!

Wednesday has been switched too my long run day due to the tweaking of my schedule after the foot injury. So I headed out for an early morning long run on the Green Bay trail.  It was a solid and smooth 13.1 miles. It was my longest run back and I was happy with a 7:30 pace effort.  I finished up the afternoon with 4000 yards in the pool with some longer efforts.

Thursday was an exciting day as I had a bike speed workout on the trainer! I love these workouts because they are so effective and efficient. It was a shorter workout, just an hour and fifteen minutes but each part of the workout had a purpose.  Later in the afternoon I had a good lifting session and was off for the Maroon 5 concert!

Pretty good day for a hard workout by the pool!

Friday morning I had a killer tempo run workout. 3 longer efforts at 8k pace. I felt very consistent and smooth. I was happy to get out there and feel really great with a few harder runs done earlier in the week.  Also I was pretty pleased to be able to jump in the lake for a cool down post run. I had a longer 4200 yard swim set in the afternoon which felt good as well. Friday night the week caught up with me a little bit. I need some sleep to prepare for tomorrow! I am pretty sure it was an 8-10pm nap on the couch and then right back to bed for the night :)

Saturday morning I had a ride with a good friend starting in Deerfield and heading out to Lake Barrington.
We hit some good hills and put in a good effort. We added some tempos on the back end and flew home.  We also put in a short 3 mile transition run off the bike. It was almost 100 degrees with the heat index so I finished the session drenched. I definitely lost over 5 pounds in that workout and took in 6 bottles. It was a good session that should translate well to good work in the next few weeks. I also made dinner for my girlfriend that night. I think chef is in the cards for a back up profession!


Grilled chicken sandwiches and broccoli floret/ sun dried tomato pasta salad. Home made from yours truly!


Stopping at a gas station for some much needed hydration.
Sunday I woke up with some heavy legs from the week but worked through to have a good run session.  I had some mile repeats on the track that felt strong for the first few but really hurt on the last one. I got in a good effort and that was the point of the workout.  After some brunch around 10 and lunch at 12 I had a 2500 easy swim session in the afternoon. The week was done and it was time for some rest.

Ready for the mile repeats.

Weekly totals: 16:21:54 total hours
Swim- 10750 yards
Bike- 96.31 miles, 2:20:00 hours on the trainer
Run- 44.53 miles
Strength- 1 hour total, 2 30:00 sessions (30:00 warm up on the bike per lift)

No comments:

Post a Comment