Friday, July 15, 2011

48 Hours

Well, we are 48 hours away from the most anticipated race of my 2011 season thus far.  My nerves and excitement are both unexplainable. The bike is cleaned up and the race wheels are on.  The nutrition plan is set and all of my training is done.  I will take the entire day off from training today in order to fully let my body prepare for what is to come on Sunday.

The race takes place on the North Beach of Racine, Wisconsin.  It is a beautiful backdrop to a day that will prove to be flat, fast and hot. Temperatures are predicted to be nearing the 90's with little cloud cover.  The race may come down to who is the smartest athlete, not necessarily the most fit on race day. The nutrition plan will be crucial as will keeping up my hydration during the race.

The swim is a 1.2 mile point to point that parallels the shore line and ends near the transition area.  The waters should be between 65 and 70 degrees, but it is Lake Michigan, you really have to plan for anything. I will be starting in wave 10, at 7:40 AM.

The bike course is notoriously flat and fast but in actuality has some rolling hills that keep the athletes honest.  The challenge of the course come in form of the patches of rough and bumpy concrete in addition to potholes and crevices in the ground that are filled with tar.  The tar become hot under the sun and can be very sticky if you roll into one. Being smart and paying attention to the terrain will both be important moves to keep in mind throughout the 56 mile trek.

The run is a 2 loop 13.1 mile course that is completely flat with one tough hill on each loop.  It will be hot on the course by the time I get out there so it will be important to find as much tree cover and shade as possible. I am going to keep my nutrition plan in mind and try to fly on that run course. I want to leave it all out there.

My mind and body are in sync today.  I am ready.  I am dying to get out there and compete.  My fitness is better than ever and I have never been so focused in my entire triathlon career.

Wish me luck on Sunday.  I'm just going to go out there and do what I do best.  And hopefully have some fun in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment