Monday, July 28, 2014

2014 Challenge New Albany

Just one week after a hard fought battle at 70.3 Racine, I was back in action this weekend at the first ever Challenge New Albany 70.3 distance event just outside of Columbus, Ohio. Not only was this my first race with the Challenge Family, but it was also my first ever attempt at racing back-to-back 70.3's. Although there were no points for me to snatch up towards world ranking or championship qualification, the organizers are well known for treating their pro racers right and the $32,500 prize purse surely drew out the competition. Below is the recap from another jam-packed weekend of travel, racing and good times.
Although it took me a couple of days to fully recover from Racine, come Wednesday I was feeling mostly back to normal (thanks to a few painful ice baths and a much needed massage). By Friday, the legs were feeling spry once again and after a few workouts, Jillian and I hit the road for the 7 hour drive to Columbus.
Barely left the driveway and we're already busting out the Daffy Duck bandaids. Solid start. 
After a relaxed Saturday morning watching the Commonwealth Games on Youtube and chowing down a hefty breakfast, we headed over to the race site for a short workout and a little course recon. Right as we pulled into the park and I got ready to hop in the water for a swim, we couldn't help but notice a group of about 50 individuals loudly singing on the beach... in Spanish. Last week it was a qunicinera, this week a baptism. Looks like I had found myself in another fiesta-style situation as the group simultaneously stared down the 6'4'' kid diving into the water clad in my now famous orange speedo. This has to be a sign of some sort, but I have NO idea what it is!
I feel like I'm being followed. 
Sunday morning came bright and early as I got ready for the 6:30am start at the Alum Creek State Park. The course was set up in a point-to-point fashion where we swam in one location, hopped on the bikes, rode to a different location, transitioned to the run and then finished near the second transition- never returning back to where we started. So after some well-calculated planning and organizing, I got in my warm up and lined up on the beach, waiting for the national anthem and the 10-second count down.
Taller, skinnier, younger than the rest. Trying not to stand out too much. 
As us pro's chatted on the edge of the water, waiting for some course instruction or even the national anthem to start playing, the announcer gave us a 3-2-1-GO!! And we were off, charging into the water, arms and legs flying in every direction- fighting for position right away.

I actually had a good start and found myself in the middle of the main fray as we rounded the first buoy. The water temperature was a toasty 76 degrees which meant no wetsuits for the professionals and that allowed a couple of the very strong swimmers to break off the front and drift off into the distance. Around the halfway point, I found myself sitting in the middle of the second group but noticed the pace seriously dropping. I did not want to loose any more time to the super swimmers so I took charge of the group, towing 7 athletes into the first transition and exiting the water in 11th place overall.

The first transition went fairly smooth as I threw off my swimskin and grabbed the bike. After a swift flying mount, I had a little trouble getting into my shoes for some reason which really slowed down my momentum and allowed the swimmers that were on my feet to pass and gain a few seconds on me. But after a hard effort on the first hill out of the park, I was right back into the mix.
Who doesn't like a nice geek-out on some bike data? Strava file HERE
The first 5 miles of the bike were flat, fast and furious as our group of about 8 athletes battled for front position with a strong northern tailwind. As we made the turn to head south towards the second transition (the majority of the bike course), I quickly noticed that we were not going to be in for a fast day with the wind in our face essentially the entire ride. Nevertheless, the tough conditions weeded out a few of the weaker cyclists and around mile 15, I found myself in a more select group of about 5 athletes still battling hard back and forth. At this point I noticed a little bit of calming in the intensity and knew it was time to make a move. Along with one other athlete, we broke away and the two of us rode hard the remainder of the ride through the rolling hills of rural Ohio. After picking up a few straggling riders throughout the back half of the bike, I came into the second transition in 7th place with 6th place right ahead.
Out on the run course 
Although I really did not know how my run legs were going to respond after last weekend, I decided that I was going to lay it all on the line and see what happened. Right away, I put in a really hard first two miles to move into 6th place. But, that was quickly erased as one of the now 5 hard-charging runners behind passed me and started to gain a little bit of distance. His pace was strong and he was looking good but it was very early and I knew going into the red-zone with 10 miles to run was not a card I was interested in playing. So I kept it cool, held steady and what do you know... before the halfway mark I saw him on the side of the road with cramps. Good call Justin! Before starting the second lap, I was able to pass another fading runner and move my way into 5th place which gave me confidence as I headed out on my next loop. On the out and back section around the 8 mile mark I was able to once again take stock of my position and realized that that those fleet-footed pursuers were still hunting me down. I ran scared, I ran hard and I really pushed the pace- almost crumbling with 2 miles to go- but I held it together just long enough to scream past another athlete moving into 4th place and crossing the finish line completely exhausted but ecstatic with what I had just done out there.
Check out the GPS data is HERE 
The 4th place was one spot behind the all-famous Andy Starykowicz in addition to marking the highest professional finish of my career. The ice cream on the cake (neither of which I condone) was the $1500 prize purse that will ensure that my bank account says in the positive for a couple more weeks which is always a challenge for a first-year professional triathlete. If you haven't noticed, this is a tough way to make a living! But clearly, it's worth it.

I quickly turned that $1500 into $1470 with a Whole Food's lunch celebratory extravaganza and then Jillian and I started our drive back home. I want to give a HUGE shout out to my sister, Jillian, for being the best race-sherpa I could ask for. Not only was she incredibly helpful with her race spectating/ split giving/ photography duties but it was also great to spend a weekend together for some quality brother-sister bonding time before we both head back to school at the end of the summer.
This weekends team. A successful combination. We should repeat. 
I also want to send a special thank you to two good friends and awesome dudes, Jeff K. and Brian J. who continue to ensure I am on the start line with everything I needed to be successful. Thanks a ton guys.

In my post race debrief with anyone who would listen, I was constantly telling people how I could make up time on the bike course simply by being incredibly aero and incredibly fast. Clearly that is 100% a product of being on the fastest bike-wheel combination on the market. Thanks to Sammy, Leslie and Flick at Sammy's Bikes for all your support.

It would not have been possible to put together 140.6 miles of hard racing in 7 days without the magic that the Wellness Revolution does to my body with chiropractic/ phisio/ massage work. Also a huge thanks to EGO for allowing me to get to the races and in a position where I can show these established pro's who the next kid on the block is.

Thankfully, I have a complete day off today to let the body recover but I am back at it tomorrow to prepare for my third 70.3 race in four weeks at 70.3 Steelhead on August 10th. It's a midwest event so hopefully, I will see some familiar faces out on course.

Thanks for tuning in and enjoy the rest of the summer. I sure am.

Justin
Just in case you missed the famous orange speedo pic ;) 









No comments:

Post a Comment