Monday, September 19, 2011

TriHawks Triathlon Race Report

This was a really great way to end the season. 1st place overall in a local Iowa City race put on by the University of Iowa triathlon team. I did this race mostly for a good time and to have a nice weekend with the family who was also coming up to do the race.  It was Jillian's first triathlon on a real road bike and it was the finale to Dad's season as well.

It was a 6:45 AM wake up for the 9 AM start time.  I changed up the pre race nutrition a bit for this race with all the cramping issues I have had over the past few races. I went with some oatmeal with banana and blueberries.  I also did not have anything but water before or during the race. The plan seemed to work right because not even a slight cramp and my body felt great!

We headed down to Coralville Lake and set up transition. As my friend and I went out for our warm up the rain started to come down. It was not coming down hard but it was heavy enough to make the roads slick and the air cold. I took the conditions into consideration and planned accordingly. I was going to be careful and not risk injury but I still was there to compete.

I was the third wave off, 29 and under.  The gun went off and I was immediately at the front with my good friend Alex Libin. We exited the water side by side and got onto the bike course.


The course is hilly and it was wet due to the rain. I just worked on putting my head down, hammering it out and passing the people who started in the earlier waves. Feeling pretty strong, I biked past a good number of the first wave elite's and gained some confidence.

I hit T2 and flew out onto the run.  I knew I had 5k in my legs. I flew through the tough course, including a 50+ stair section, and finished the race in 1st overall. After crossing the finish, I went back to help Jillian finish it off. Around mile 2.5 dad met up with us and the three of us crossed the finish together. A good day and a fun weekend.




I will post about 2012 plans soon. The schedule is forming nicely, get excited. I am already.

No comments:

Post a Comment