Monday, June 27, 2011

Week 4.

This was a solid and hectic week, University of Iowa orientation Monday and Tuesday and I started my first week of work at splash landings as a swim instructor.  Yet, the workouts were efficient and intense.  The volume was decreased a bit to get ready for the Bigfoot Triathlon on Sunday but every workout was purposeful and strong.

I had to switch up my rest day from the customary Monday to Tuesday in order to get the tempo bike session done early in the week. Before we were on the road to Iowa City, I woke up to do a killer set of tempo efforts on the bike (some overgear pushes and then 3x 10:00 at race pace). This was done on the bunny trail, a flat and fast course that is perfect for this kind of workout. I finished with a fast 5k transition run and then we were off to Iowa.

Tuesday morning was an early wake up before registering for classes and touring the campus but I was shocked to see the Sheraton in Iowa City prepared a crazy amazing fruit plate! Surprised but very pleased :).

After getting home from orientation and not enjoying my rest day one bit, (3 hours of walking was not what I had in mind but it was worth seeing my new home for the next 4 years). Wednesday I had a long run. This was my longest run back since the foot injury. It was a solid 11 miles at a 7:20 pace. Pretty good. I warmed up with an hour on the trainer with some single leg drills before the run and then finished the day off with 3200 yards in the pool. And don't forget some post run cold tub action!

Thursday I felt a bit tired from earlier in the week. I had an easy 27 mile ride with a cruising 30:00 transition run that felt strong. I also picked up my packet from Running Away Multisport for the Bigfoot Triathlon and snagged a pair of these! Now I am ready for Racine 70.3!

Friday morning I went to a group run out of Gilson park.  It was an intense 8 miles of 2x10:00 tempo efforts. After a good cool down I hit the lake for a little cold therapy and relaxed before another 3400 pool session later in the afternoon. 

Saturday was the day before the event so it was an easy shake up workout. 20:00 swim, 50:00 bike and a easy 10:00 run. I was packed and organized. Ready to roll at 4am the next morning!


Sunday was the race! Check out the full race report for analysis of the days work.

Weekly totals: 13:30:35 total hours
Swim- 6600 yards, 20:00 open water
Bike- 72.96 miles, 2:15:00 on the trainer
Run- 27.55 miles
Race- 2:04:15 (1500m swim, 38k bike, 10k trail run)

No comments:

Post a Comment