Monday, June 6, 2011

Week 1. First post!

Week one of my training blog! I decided to start this blog so people could take a look into my summer of triathlon training and racing. I am 18 years old and I have hopes of one day becoming a professional triathlete. I had a very successful and dedicated off season of training and I feel that I am the most fit I have ever been. I partnered up with a new coach and started working harder than ever, putting all my time, effort and focus into triathlon.  I even saved up enough money to buy a 2011 Cervelo P2, which has been the fastest bike I have ever been on. 





I started off my season May 1 down in St. Petersburg, FL at the St. Anthony's triathlon where I took third place in my division and qualified for the National Championship in Des Moines, Iowa. I had some cramping on the run which forced me to stop completely for 2 minutes.  I couldn't take a step without my legs locking up. I downed some salt tablets and was able to recover and run a 2:00 negative split on the back 5k. I still missed 1st place by :52 seconds. AHH!!! In addition to the National Championship bid, this race was a good motivator and confidence builder for the rest of the season. Overall, I left Florida pleased. 









After dissecting and reviewing the race, I set my focus on a large training block that included a 10 mile running race and a half marathon.  Everything was going strong until I felt something in my foot that just wasn't right. I went to the doctor and he told me it was peroneal tendinitis. Out for two weeks, in a walking boot. Not too bad all considering I was still able to swim, bike, pool run and lift weights. My coach and I set a plan that I would loose minimal fitness on the run by pool running (wearing a flotation device in the deep end of the pool and doing the running motion. Keeping my fitness but having no impact the injured foot). 




I have now healed up from the injury, after 2 weeks of heavy biking, swimming and pool running, I am ready to get back into it. I am putting all of my efforts into Racine 70.3 in hopes of qualifying for 70.3 World's in Vegas, I won't have a tough time convincing dad to let me do that one... 


Not wanting to come back too fast off the foot tendinitis, this is how I made out this week: 2 lifting sessions, 2 swim sessions (8200 yards total), 4 bike sessions (161.14 miles) and 4 pool running sessions (3 hours and 45 minutes). It was an efficient week getting just over 15 hours of training in.  I had a good long ride with a few of my buddies on Sunday morning right before my high school graduation. Now all I have is time. I am ready to put in the hours of training, prepare to hurt a little bit and race!  

No comments:

Post a Comment